Target Workout Details (Hamstring Exercises for Men)
Body Part: Legs
Target Muscle: Hamstrings
Category: Exercise for men
Yes, This is True. You can officially say that the nature and structure of the hamstrings is one of the important muscle groups for athletes and bodybuilders, which is why hamstring exercises for men are essential.
The hamstrings are one of the largest muscles in the human body and play a major role in everyday activities such as walking and running.
Despite this, most of us neglect training this muscle during our workouts, simply because you can’t really see it in the mirror!
Hamstring exercises for men play a vital role in restoring your body’s self-confidence, shape, performance and overall strength. It also works by Strengthen Quadriceps muscle as an integrated muscle to ensure the balance of the body while standing and ensures the flexibility of the extension of the middle joint
Most people think of the hamstrings, which serve only for one function for flexing the knee. In fact, the hamstring are not a single muscle, but rather a group of muscles with multiple functions. The most important function is hip extension, which is vital for explosiveness, fast running, jumping, and even back health.
In order to balance your muscles with your overall body shape and how you look with your upper and lower body, you need to perform and exercise your hamstring muscles seriously.
Imagine that you are developing huge biceps and chest muscles with skinny legs! You’ll realize what I’m talking about when you see the final results and the differences between muscle volume after a workout.
Hamstrings Muscle Function
The Hamstrings are not a single muscle but a variety of different muscles that have many functions in it’s nature. It is one of the three posterior thigh muscles located between the hip and the knee. The muscle is susceptible to injury in case exposure to the high pressure of workout.
It is a large tendon located behind the knee. As a function of extending the hip when the torso is straight, it also flexes the knee and medial (inwardly) rotates the lower leg when the knee is bent.
Benefits of Hamstring Workout
There are many benefits for hamstring workouts, which target the lower body and balance your core and main Leg Muscle. Here is a list of the main benefits:
- Hamstring exercises may help reduce back pain. The hamstring muscles attach to the lower part of your pelvis.
- Hamstring exercises will give you strong and solid legs. They are key to your knee extension and flexibility. Without strong hamstrings, it can become difficult to perform simple daily activities such as climbing stairs.
- It reduces the risk of developing sciatica because it can lead to leg pain, tingling, weakness and numbness in the sciatic nerve behind the leg.
- Stretching the hamstrings can help reduce nerve pressure, which can help relieve discomfort.
Safety Measures before Exercise
Every exercise requires some preventive measures to be taken. For the hamstrings, we must take care of the hamstring muscles and bones. Our tissues can be damaged and bones can dislocate. It is recommended to wear knee pads before doing any heavy hamstring exercise.
Second, don’t lift more weight than you can handle. Always check how much weight you will be lifting before starting.
How do you Stretch the Hamstrings?
We can perform a warm-up to get the best hamstring lengthening exercises by doing a simple no-weight Leg Curl. We can also do a sitting exercise for this purpose.
Or additionally, you can apply the Hamstring Stretch as follows:
Stand with your right leg straight and your left knee slightly bent with your left foot slightly forward for balance. Raise your arms until they are horizontal and interlock your hands with your palms facing forward. Bend your upper body forward at the hips until you feel a stretching in the back of your right thigh. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds. Repeat 3 times, then switch sides.
Note: If additional detailed warm-up exercises are required, please check Hamstring Stretch article.
Hamstring Exercises for Men
1: The Romanian Deadlift
How to perform?
- The barbell will be on the floor in front of you. Step forward into the bar, so your shin (leg) are touching the bar.
- Lower your body into a squat position.
- Grasp the bar with an open hand grip in place slightly outside your legs, with your palms facing you.
- Now raise the barbell at hip level position. Your back and your knees should be in an straight position. This will be your starting position for this exercise.
- Then gently lower the bar slightly below the level of the knees, by pushing the hips back while bending the buttocks and knees, and bending the back while maintaining a straight position. You have to keep the bar close to your body and look straight.
- Then you will feel maximum flexion and stretching of the hamstring just below your knee.
- Return to the starting position by pushing your hips forward until you can stand upright and straight.
You can continue with this iteration. 3 sets with 8-10 reps through 60-90 seconds as recommended.
2: Lying Leg Curls
(Equipment: Leg Curl Machine)
To perform this exercise effectively and gain massive hamstring muscles fast, you need to have a Leg Curl Machine that works for you and really helps you to perform and build hamstring quickly.
How To Perform?
- Lie on the leg curling machine after adjusting it to your height.
- Keep your torso flat on the bench and make sure your legs are fully extended. Now grab the handle of the machine.
- Keep your feet straight and this will be the starting position for a home hamstring exercise on the curl machine.
- Bend your legs while exhaling as much as possible. Once you reach the maximum level, pause for a three seconds. You will feel the hamstring muscle contraction.
- Return the legs to the starting position while inhaling.
Repeat the recommended amount of 8-10 times reps.
3: Seated Leg Curls
(Equipment: Leg Curl Machine)
How to perform Seated leg curls?
- Adjust the height of the leg curl machine according to your height. Sit on the machine and place your back against the back support cushion provided with the machine. Keep your back straight in the hamstring muscle exercise.
- Now you have to put the lower part of the back of the leg on the padded machine lever and secure it to your thighs. Then you will have to grab the handles of the machine located on the side. Make sure your grip is tight.
- Pull the lever of the machine back as far as possible while exhaling. Don’t forget that you have to keep your torso still all the time.
- Slowly return the lever to the starting position while inhaling.
You can perform 6 to 8 reps of 3 sets for this exercise.
4: Floor Glute Ham Raise
(Equipment: require a Floor Hamstring Developer machine or partner for help)
How to perform?
- Get a machine or partner to perform this exercise or you can hold your feet under a stationary object so that your legs don’t move.
- At first you will be lying on the flat floor on your stomach, the device or partner will hold your feet firmly to keep you in the same position. Your knees will be an anchor and support to raise your upper body during the exercise, Gradually begin to raise your torso and thighs so that they are straight position and perpendicular to the ground. This will be the starting position.
- By extending the knee, lower your upper body. Do not bend your hips as you move forward as far as possible, your upper body should not touch the floor.
- Before you hit the floor, use your arms to give you a slight push so you can return to the starting position.
- You can put your arms on your chest. This is an advanced version and a hard exercise that you can do and you may fail a few times before doing so. At first, you may have to practice the easiest method.
You can perform this exercise for 5 – 6 reps with (2) sets as recommended.
5: Swiss Ball Leg Curl
(Equipment: a Swiss Ball )
How to perform?
- Lie on the floor on your back and feet on top of the Swiss ball, place your hands next to your body, hip width apart.
- Position the ball in such a way that when you extend your legs, your ankles are placed on top of the ball. This will be your starting position for this exercise.
- Then start lifting your hips off the floor, keeping your weight on your shoulder blades and feet, while slowly bringing your knees over the ball.
- Tighten the hamstrings by bending the knees and pulling the ball as close as you can.
- Pause for a few seconds, then return to the starting position.
You can perform this exercise for 7-8 reps with (2) sets.
6: Walking Lunges
(Equipment: No – Use Your Body Weight )
This is a simple and exciting exercise that does not need any equipment, just your body weight to perform the hamstring workout without equipment.
How to perform the exercise?
- Stand straight, feet flat on the floor with shoulder width apart, at first keep your hands at your sides or can be placed on your hips.
- Clasp your hands in front of your chest, then using your left leg, step forward by pressing your body weight through your heels, bending your left knee to form a 90-degree angle from your thigh with your leg, lowering the body down to be parallel to the ground.
- In this case, your right foot will be behind with your right knee touching the ground. Hold in this position for 3 seconds.
- Next, without moving your left leg, move and lift your right foot forward, and repeat the same movement for the left leg, so that the right thigh is parallel to the floor, and the left knee is on the ground, Hold this position again for 3 seconds.
- Keep doing this, in a forward walking style, keeping alternating legs, as you move.
Perform this exercise for 8-10 reps with (2) sets.
7: Dumbbell Sumo Squat
(Equipment: Dumbbells )
Most of us have dumbbells, so this exercise is suitable and appropriate for everyone, also it’s simple to perform.
How to perform the exercise?
- Stand-up with your back and body straight, legs spread apart, twice shoulder width apart, Set your feet into direction outside your body at a 45-degree angle and flat on the floor, and maintain this position of the feet throughout the entire training.
- Choose a dumbbell that is slightly heavy, then grab the upper part of the dumbbell with both hands and bring it between your legs, making your hands straight. This is the starting position.
- Now, gradually begin to bend your knees, lowering your hips into a deep squat, until your thighs are parallel to the floor, while keeping your back straight. Hold this position for 2 seconds.
- Now return to the previous position, raise your body by straightening your legs completely while contracting the buttock muscles.
Perform sumo squat for 8-10 reps with (3) sets.
8: Sissy Squat
(Equipment: Sissy Squat Machine)
With this compact squat machine, you can perform multiple muscles exercises for the body, not only the Hamstring, but also the glutes, abdominals, and lower back.
The steps for performing any exercise, in fact, it depends on the target muscles, but in general, you just have to put your feet under the lower pads to stabilize the body and then start the exercise.
More details and valuable features about it in this article Leikefitness Sissy Squat machine.
9: Squat Assist Trainer
(Equipment: Sunny Squat Trainer)
Sunny Squats Trainer is a modern Assist device that can be used for compound muscles at one session, and the hamstring are one of these target muscles. It is pretty easy to workout with it.
How to perform the exercise?
After assemble the device, just ride on it, like a normal bike, then place your hand on the front handlebar, begin pushing your feet on the pedals, then the device automatically will lead your body to move on the correct positions that will strengthen you legs muscles.
For more details about the device, simply click on the Sunny Squats Assist Trainer if you are interested.
Make sure you train your hamstring muscles well, it’s the part of the body responsible for hip flexion and gluteal muscles while keeping you stretched and injury-free.
Note: Be sure to drink enough water after your workouts and hard exercises in order to help you replace fluids lost from sweating.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to the Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You will be pleased to see more muscle building results over time.