Exercise Details (Hamstring Workouts)
Body Part: Legs
Target Muscle: Hamstrings
Category: Exercise for men
Yes it’s True. You can say officially the nature and structure of Hamstrings act as one of the significant muscle groups for Athletes.
The hamstring is one of the largest muscles in the human body and plays a major role for everyday activities such as walking and running.
Despite of this, most of us ignored to train this muscle during workouts, because simply it’s not really seen by you on the mirror!
Hamstring Exercises for men plays a vital role to recover self body trust, shape, performance and strength overall. Also it works with Quadriceps muscle as a combined muscle to secure body balancing while standing and insure flexibility of middle joint extension.
Most people think of hamstrings that only serve one function for knee flexion. In reality, the hamstrings are not one single muscle, but it’s a group of muscles with multiple functions. The most important function is hip extension, which is vital for explosiveness, speed running, jumping, and even low-back health.
In order to balance your muscles and overall body shapes and how it look like with upper and lower body you need to perform and workout seriously on hamstring muscles.
Hamstrings is not a sole muscle but an assortment of different muscles who have several functions in their nature. It’s one of the three posterior thigh muscles in between the hip and the knee. The muscle are quite susceptible to injury.
It’s a single large tendon found behind the knee or comparable area. And as a function it extend the hip when the trunk is fixed, they also flex the knee and medially (inwardly) rotate the lower leg when the knee is bent.
Benefits of Hamstring Workout
There are many benefits for hamstring workouts, which target the lower-body and balance your core and main Legs Muscle. Below is list of major benefits:
- Hamstring exercises may help reduce back pain. Hamstrings muscles are connected to your lower pelvis.
- Hamstring workouts will give you strong and solid legs. They are key for your knee extension and flexibility. Without strong hamstrings, it may become difficult to perform simple daily activities e.g. climbing stairs.
- It decreases the risk of sciatica as it can lead to leg pain, tingling, weakness and numbness in sciatica nerve behind the leg.
- Hamstring exercise can help reduce nerve compression that can help alleviate discomfort.
Every workout demands some protective measures to be taken. For hamstrings, we must take care of our knee muscle and bone. Our tissues can be injured and bones can get dislocate. We must put on knee pads before performing any heavy weight exercise for our hamstrings. Secondly, do not lift weight more than your capacity. Always double check the amount of weight you are going to lift.
How to Stretch Your Hamstring ?
We can perform warm up workout for best hamstrings stretches by doing simple Leg Curl with no weight. We can also perform sit ups for this purpose.
or in addition you can apply Hamstrings stretch as following:
Stand up with your right leg straight and your left knee slightly bent with your left foot slightly forwards for balance. Raise your arms until they are horizontal and clasp your hands together, palms facing forwards. Bend forwards at the hips until you feel the stretch in the back of your right thigh. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds. Repeat 3 times, then swap sides.
Note: In case you required additional detailed warm up please check Hamstring Stretch
Hamstring Exercises for Men
Exercise # 01: The Romanian Deadlift
(Equipment: a barbell with weights)
How to perform?
- First you have to hold the bar at hip level with palms facing down. Your back should be in arched position and knees slightly bent. This will be your initial position for this exercise.
- Then lower the bar gently keeping your butt back and knees bent. You have to keep the bar close to your body and look straight up.
- Then you will feel maximum flex of your hamstrings just below your knee.
- Come back to the starting position by driving your hips forward so that you can stand tall and straight.
You may follow this repetition. 3 sets with 10-12 reps with 60-90 sec as recommended.
Exercise # 02: Lying Leg Curls
(Equipment: require Leg Curl Machine)
To perform this workout effectively and gain a huge Hamstring Muscle Fast you need to have Leg Curl Machine that really suits and helps You.
How To Perform?
- Lie down on the leg curl machine after adjusting it according to your height.
- Keep your torso even on the bench and ensure that your legs are fully stretched. Now grab the handle of the machine.
- Make your toes straight and you got to starting position for this hamstrings exercise at home.
- Curl your legs up while exhaling to maximum level you can. Once you get to your maximum level, hold it for a second.
- Bring the legs back to the starting position while inhaling.
Repeat for the recommended amount 8-10 repetitions.
Exercise # 03: Seated Leg Curls
(Equipment: require Leg Curl Machine)
How to perform Seated leg curls?
- Adjust the height of leg curl machine according to your height. Sit on the machine and put your back against the back-support pad provided with the machine. Keep your back straight in this hamstrings muscles exercise.
- Now you have to place the lower leg’s back on the padded lever and secure the lap pad with your thighs. Then you will have to grasp the handles of the machine provided at the side. Make sure you have a tight grip.
- Pull the machine lever as far as possible while exhaling. Don’t forget that you have to keep your torso still all the time.
- Slowly bring the lever back to the initial position while inhaling.
You may perform 6 to 8 reps with 2 sets each for this workout.
Exercise # 04: Floor Glute Ham Raise
(Equipment: require a Floor Hamstring Developer machine or partner to help)
How to perform?
- Have a machine or partner to perform this exercise or you can fix your feet under some stable thing so that your legs don’t move.
- The machine or partner will hold your feet firmly to keep you in position and begin on your knees. Make sure your torso and upper legs are upright. This will be your starting position.
- By extending at the knee, lower yourself. Do not flex your hips as you go forward.
- You can place your arms on your chest. This a tough workout to do and you may fail a couple of time before performing it. You may have to practice this first. When reached the floor, use your arms to give you a slight push so that you can come back to your starting position of this hamstring exercise at home.
You may perform this exercise for 5 to 6 reps with (2) sets as recommended.
Exercise # 05: Ball Leg Curl
(Equipment: require a physio ball )
How to perform?
- Lie down on the floor against your back and your feet on the top of the physio ball.
- Position the ball in a manner so that when you stretch your legs, your ankles are being placed on the top of the ball. This will be your starting position for this exercise.
- Then raise your hips from the ground. Keep your weight on your shoulder blades and your feet.
- Contract the hamstrings by flexing the knees and pulling the ball as close as you can in this hamstring exercise for men.
- After a normal pause, come to the starting the position.
You may perform this workout for 7 to 8 reps with (1) set.
Note: Insure you drink enough water after your workouts in order to helps you to replace the fluids lost through sweating.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You will be pleased by see more results by Time.