Achieving a good and healthy work environment is essential for you as an employee, to be satisfied and motivated at work all the time.
Which definitely leads to focus and increased productivity. These variables that affect the business climate are many and varied, and this does not mean that in order to achieve this improvement requires the implementation of costly or complex strategies.
On the contrary, it is often the small details that are most effective in improving the office environment, and ensuring your happiness while working.
We classify the study to be more comprehensive and suit all different types of employee environment. It is mainly divided into office (indoor – closed environment) or in the field or outdoor (outside – open environment).
So how do you have a healthy work environment? Actually the answer for that! it Starts with You!
We provide easy tips to help you maintain and live in a comfortable and healthy work environment.
How do we get a healthy work environment!
Well, there are many points that can be followed to reach a healthy environment at work, but it depends mainly on the nature of your work, so you have to choose what suits you, and they are as follows:
Sure, you spent most of the day in the office. Although sitting in front of the computer for about 8 hours during the day is not exactly a healthy lifestyle [as I used to do], if your desk can be turned into a place conducive well-being, happiness and healthy. These tips will help you get it:
- Better Ventilation (Fresh Air):
- Office environments are notorious for sensitivity, and toxic air in the environment can lower our intellectual capacity. Thus, a recent study conducted by Harvard University in the United States confirmed that offices that enjoy natural ventilation are the best for obtaining fresh air and reaching low levels of air pollution, which have a direct impact on optimal performance levels.
- Physical Space:
- This improvement does not necessarily mean starting expensive improvement work to get more square meters. Simple actions such as improving the lighting or painting the working area of the office in warm, relaxing colors such as green, blue, etc., combined with shades of red or orange, can be a very effective way to create a comfortable environment, but at the same time, there is a need for Less energy for better productivity and motivation.
- Decorate Your Office:
- You can also decorate the office with creative and inspiring images, for example with a poster, photographs or photos that express in a fun way the mission and philosophy of the company, which will give you a strong motivation, as well as to communicate business principles.
- Work Standing:
- This alternative may be more intuitive. If we could replace our desk with a standing desk, it would help us move around more during the work day and obviously sit less. It is not recommended to stand all day. However, we can use the desktop configuration which allows us to modify the workspace to the extent that suits us.
- Drink Water:
- Keep a glass of water near you in the water bottle keeper or flask. Consuming water at work time not only improves our skin but also helps us suppress appetite and prevent headaches during dry times or hot periods of the year. It must be remembered that water is necessary to maintain the proper functioning of the kidneys and liver and is essential for the body, as it removes and cleanses toxins from the body.
- Office near Window:
- Put your desk near a window if possible, since several studies conducted at Northwestern University in the United States have shown that workers who have windows in their offices are more physically active and sleep better, compared to those who do not. This helps us perform our activities to get more natural light while sitting near the window, maintain low levels of stress, as well as a proper circadian rhythm for work.
- Use Aromatherapy:
- Natural scented candles or essence diffuser will give us a subtle scent that will improve our mood and memory. Citrus aroma is a very good choice, which helps us to work with greater pleasure.
- Eat healthy in the office:
- A machine that dispenses drinks and snacks can be a very tempting option. However, it is best to ignore this high-calorie temptation and bring fruit, vegetables, yogurt or nuts to the office, for those moments when we feel the urge or need to eat something in between main meals, or as a snack.
- Taking short walk Breaks:
- Having the habit of walking during breaks from work or immediately after leaving work will lead us to establish the habit of healthy living in our lives. A simple walk for 5-10 minutes three times a day keeps the body moving and the metabolism going.
- Healthy Chair:
- The chair is your best ally if use properly. Adjust chair heights to position your arms and body correctly. The limbs should form a flexion angle so that the elbow is greater than 90 degrees. The work bench should be stable, give the user freedom of movement and provide a comfortable position.
- Raise Plants:
- Put one or more plants in your desk. Several studies have shown that placing plants in the office improves productivity by 38%, well-being by 47%, and creativity by 45%. Plants also help clean office air and reduce static noise. They should be plants that are suitable for indoor environments and require little light, such as an cacti or a peace lily.
- Healthy Office Sit:
- Do not forget that correct design of office furniture, correct use of keyboard and mouse or good lighting are other essential factors to work comfortably and avoid injuries caused by misuse of these items or assuming incorrect postures.
On Field Environment
For those who work in the field or outdoor environment, whose jobs require spending several hours in exposure to many un-healthy elements, which can pose a health hazard if the right steps are not taken.
Here are the ways you can become more productive, positive, and healthier while working in an outdoor environment:
- During Summer:
- You are likely to be exposed to extreme temperatures. When it is too hot, we feel more lethargic and have a feeling of discomfort that affects our daily tasks. Extreme heat can affect anyone, but workers outside often need to take safety precautions against heat waves. They are jobs in agriculture, construction, gardening, outdoor cleaning, fishing and others. These jobs do not stop during the summer. So to avoid heat it is preferable to use the following:
- It’s important to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher, but that cream shouldn’t be your only defense against the sun rays.
- For the best overall protection, put yourself in the shade and wear appropriate clothing – light colors and light fabric, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, as well as sunscreen, as well as sunscreen on exposed and more sensitive parts of the body, such as the face, hands and back.
- During Winter:
- Working outdoors can be dangerous and can cause injuries in field work. Make sure to use several layers of clothing. However, the layers should be loose so as not to reduce circulation.
- Be Socialize:
- Try to socialize wherever you are. Don’t just fill your head with work… work… work (where Rihanna sings on her album). During breaks, try to enjoy the environment and get a new and fresh perspective by communicating with people from your surroundings, either co-workers or anyone you are happy to talk to.
- Safety Tools:
- Working outdoors can lead you to different terrains, so it’s always important to wear appropriate footwear for such activity to avoid injury.
- Be sure to use safety helmets when necessary, especially in construction and renovation areas.
- The risk of being attacked by insects like bees, wasps, etc. is high for those who work outdoors. So always consider applying insect repellent.
- Eat Well:
- Make sure you have healthy foods in your lunch box with you. Chopped fruits and vegetables, cheese, whole grains, and more to help keep your energy up.
- Stay Hydrated:
- At all times while working outdoors, stay hydrated by drinking enough water, whether in winter or summer. This helps your body to conserve energy and function properly.
A healthy work environment is certainly essential for any of us, resulting in great productivity and optimal levels of performance and motivation. Make sure such an environment exists.
It is absolutely normal that it takes many different actions to have a healthy and safe work environment, depending mainly on the type of job whether in the office or the field, make sure you follow these principles to keep your body, mind and high productivity.
Different work environment places require different measurements, which are fundamentally different either indoors or outdoors. In addition, it is not necessary to apply all the points of the above recommendation to all places, it depends on their accessibility and capabilities, but in general about 80% of them can be applied.
All Best Luck to You