Target Exercise Details (Hamstrings Workouts for Women)
Body Part: Legs
Target Muscle: Hamstrings
Category: Exercise for Women
The largest muscles of the body are located in the lower half known as the thighs in front, and the hamstrings in the back side of the leg which play essential roles for the movement of the body. Moreover, once the hamstrings become toned and thickened, it looks absolutely amazing with a will-shaped leg.
Therefore, it is very important to make some efforts to perform the best hamstring exercises for women to get strong hamstrings.
The lower half of the body contains the Hamstrings, Quads and other important muscle parts. By training it, it will not only improve your physical health but also help you improve your balance and performance in an efficient manner.
Although most women are aware of the importance of strengthening the hamstrings, as this is the most popular area at the moment to focus on for many females.
However, the truth is that hamstring strength is just as important to focus on it, and yet it gets overlooked most of the time. You can understand the importance of the hamstring muscles by knowing the most important fact about them in the next article.
Function of Hamstring
This entire muscle group is responsible for bending your knees, tilting your pelvis, lengthening your hips, and supporting your leg’s rotation to the side when the knee is slightly tilted. To make your hamstrings healthier, stronger, and more flexible, it’s important to know the top hamstring workout for women.
The Hamstrings are actually a group of muscles on the back side of the leg that include three major muscles.
- Semimembranosus: It is a long and flat muscle on the back side of the leg. It is responsible for flexion the knee and extension the leg.
- Biceps femoris: It is a double-headed muscle located at the back of the thigh. Helps with thigh extension and external rotation of the knee.
- Semitendinosus: It is responsible for hip extension and knee flexion.
Benefits of Hamstrings Workout
There are plenty of benefits to at-home hamstring exercises, which focus on the lower body and target the major leg muscles. Here is a list of the main benefits:
- Protection against muscle tightness and muscle tears.
- Increase flexibility and endurance of the hamstring muscles.
- Relieves back pain after leg muscle exercise.
- Leg strength is improved.
- Reduce the chances of developing sciatica.
Before starting a hamstring exercise, it is recommended to wear a pair of knee pads to avoid any kind of damage to the leg tissues. Second, make sure you don’t lift more weight than you can handle. Always check and evaluate how much weight you can control before starting your workout.
How to Warm Up Hamstring before Workout?
In order to stretch the hamstrings before exercising, you must warm up the muscles. Lie on your back on the floor and bend your knees with your feet flat on the floor. Slowly bring your right leg toward the chest and keep your other knee in a bent position. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat the same with the left leg.
For an extra effective, detailed warm-up for tight muscles, you can start with by click on the article Hamstring Stretches.
Best Hamstring Exercises for Women
When it comes to searching for hamstring exercises at home for women, they may appear in a long list in front of you. But the problem there can be is choosing the most appropriate hamstring exercises so that you can get more benefits for you.
Well, we have created and filter our selection for the hamstring exercises that you should include in your workout session schedule to experience the amazing benefits, and develop toned muscles. Well let’s go:
1: Stiff Leg Deadlift
This is a popular hamstring exercise that almost everyone knows about and performed at the gym. It is one of the best method for hamstring growth by using dumbbells.
How to perform Stiff Leg Deadlift?
- Stand on a flat surface with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Hold the dumbbells at the front of your thighs with your palms facing your thighs.
- Keep your legs straight and tight while beginning to maintain a delicate bend in the knees to the back. Hinge in the forward direction at your waist.
- Keep your back straight. Keep moving the weight toward the feet until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings.
- Now slowly lift the weight while extending your legs and push hips forward, until you reach in a straight position.
- Repeat at least 10 to 12 times.
2: Air Squat
(Equipment: Body Only)
Aerobic squat is a simple and exciting workout to perform that requires no equipment, and also requires the extra balance and stability that the exercise provides for your core body.
How to perform Air Squat?
- Stand on a flat surface with feet shoulder width apart.
- Bring the arms straight out in front of you at shoulder level.
- Start lower your body toward the floor by bending your knees and moving your hips back. It is important to keep your head straight and your back as straight as possible.
- Lower toward the ground as far, as the mobility and strength of your body allows you. It is important to maintain a balance between the heel of your foot and the center of your foot.
- Now start getting back up and pushing the floor away with your feet. Straighten your knees and keep extending your hips until you are standing straight. Crush the glutes at the top of your movement. Keep your hands raised forward
- Repeat the routine 6 times.
3: Hamstring Curl with Resistance Band
(Equipment: Resistance Band, Mat)
How to perform Hamstring Curl?
- Take a loop band and attach it to any firm but sturdy object to create sufficient muscle resistance during the exercise.
- Lie on a ground on your abs using an exercise mat or the floor by keeping your face down toward the floor.
- Tie the other side of the band around the ankle of your leg.
- Begin by raising your foot by curling your legs up toward your butt. Squeeze the gluteus maximus at the top of the leg curve movement created.
- Slowly release the curl by returning your foot back flat on the floor.
- Repeat process 7 several times.
4: Bulgarian Split Squat
To provide adequate resistance weight to the muscles while lowering the body, Dumbbells will be used, for a better benefit to the hamstrings.
How to perform Bulgarian Split Squat?
- Keep a bench in the horizontal orientation behind you. Stand straight with the bench behind your back with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell with both hands.
- Step one of the feet back and let the toes and ball of the foot rest on top of the workout bench.
- Grab a dumbbell with a neutral grip and extend your arms at your sides. This will be your starting point for this exercise.
- Take a long breath and bend your knees that are standing on the ground to 90 degrees, making sure that your entire weight is distributed correctly over your front and back legs. If this step is done correctly, your front thigh will be parallel to the floor.
- Now exhale and start pushing with the heel of your front foot to make the leg straight. Use your toes on the back to extend your back leg. After doing this, return to the initial position of the exercise.
- Repeat this exercise 10 to 12 times for one leg side and then repeat this exercise for a total of 3 sets.
5: Good Morning
(Equipment: a Wooden dowel )
How to perform Good Morning?
- Stand straight, with both feet hip-width apart.
- With both hands, grab the ends of a wooden dowel and place it behind your back at the level of your shoulders in an appropriate manner.
- Bend the knees slightly, Set this position as a fixed point or angle for you. This is the initial position of this workout.
- Take a breath, and pull your hands forward, through the thrust from the wedge to the shoulders, this will force your torso to move forward from the hips.
- Keep lowering your upper body until it is almost parallel to the floor.
- Make sure to keep a chest forward and your head should at the extension of your spine. And feel the tension in the hamstrings.
- Now exhale and push with your heels and use your hamstrings and glutes to properly straighten your hips and return to standing at your initial point.
- It is best to repeat this exercise in sets of 3 with 10 to 12 repetitions at a time.
6: Squats Assist Trainer
(Equipment: Sunny Assist Trainer)
Sunny Squats Trainer is a modern device that can be used for multiple muscle exercises, and the hamstrings are one of these target muscles. It is very easy to perform and practice with it.
How to perform?
After installing the device, just ride on it, like a bike, then grab the front handlebar, start pushing your legs on the pedals, then automatically the device, will lead you to the correct positions for the movement that will strengthen you muscles.
For more details about the device, simply click on the Sunny Squats Trainer if you are interested.
These are some of the best exercises for you, which is important to know if you want to workout your hamstrings. It is because healthier, more flexible and strong muscles will improve your overall fitness and let your body experience improved functional movement in an efficient manner.
I Hope Hamstring workouts was helpful for you, if you have any Questions, or want to leave your own personal Notes, Please submit your comment below. I would Love to Help You.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to the Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You will be pleased by see more results by Time.