In my research and analysis, I found a big demand on body fitness, especially for glute exercise either to stabilize core body or to have a great butt shape. So I dedicate this article to highlight and focus more on this major muscle and how to workout using Cable Glute Kickback.
What is Cable Kickbacks?
It is a cable exercise which mainly targets the glutes and help the legs in the development and strengthening of the glute muscles. It targets the butt and hips together with glutes and also helps in shaping legs and rest of the lower body.
One must know, that their buttocks are among the largest muscles and is made up of 3 gluteal muscles, Gluteal Maximus (largest), Medius and Minimus. Herein the Gluteal Maximus helps in dictating a proper shape to posterior and is responsible for thigh movement and legs rotation.
The other two important muscles, are shorter and work in a way that can provide the best support to Maximus while the movement of legs to either side.
Make sure to have the skill and co-ordination better as this exercise is much tougher than the same looks, but the end result of routine will provide you the maximum benefits, with a tone and shape your Buttocks.
Considering all information, this step by step guide for Cable Glute Kickback will provide much more than what has been discussed above. So, look deeper to get the best out of the cable workout.
Are Cable Kickbacks Effective?
If asked, this exercise is effective and useful for better shaping of the glutes (Butt) and the legs. It is especially helpful for the hamstrings or the back leg of each ones’.
The exercise helps create a full and rounder butt as it is targeted mostly where hamstrings meet buttocks. It also helps build posterior strength, which further translates to provide better functions and performance, altogether to lower body. If you look in athletic performance, a better and higher jump is an indication of the stronger glute.
How to Do a Cable Kickback?
Using a cable glute machine at the gym or a tubing band at home, is a one that can easily perform for this exercise.
Before start, at gym insure to attach a cuff around the ankle while performing and stand right in front of cable pulley machine or where attached is tubing.
If exercising at home, one might need a band with cuff too (bigger one) for the ankle and for attaching band, a sturdy pole or any secured furniture might work.
If one plans to get most out of this exercise, ensure to do it in the correct form like any other exercise. Being too much arched back or having positioned with one feet wrong, it can end up with hurting your lower back. So make sure to check steps correctly before starting the exercise.
Doing Standing Kickback Exercise
If trying Cable Glute Kickback at the gym, ensure to have a cable glute machine with a low cable pully and if one can find or has an ankle cuff attachment, it will be great for one to proceed. Just in case if same is not available, use either a regular handle (if the foot can be tucked into it or an ankle strap).
Start with an ankle strap on ensure to face the pully and make sure that the clip is attached at the ankle. For the rest, follow the steps:
- Make sure to step a little back as this will help feel resistance. Use the other leg or the pole or tower for the main support. If there is a machine with a built-in handle that would be great to use.
- Once ready, slightly bend your knees by keeping Abs contract.
- Kick the leg backwards slowly until the hip is extended and once glute gets contracted.
- Keep the focus over squeezing the glute a little by holding it for around 1 to 2 seconds and then return to start position.
Try and aim for around 12 to 15 reps before you switch over to the next leg. Follow the same routine steps. Ensure to give yourself a little rest of around 40-60 seconds before you continue further.
If you follow it correctly, you will be able to do around 3 sets of the same steps at a time.
Resistance Band Kickbacks while Standing at Home
In case you want to perform exercise at home, and you cannot afford the cable machine, still you have a chance to perform with efficient using a banded tube, which will provide you the resistance energy required that we need, similar like the cable machine, even with different resistant level.
All you need to do, just to short the band used for exercise more and more every time you want hard level exercise. Brilliant!
Regarding the steps is also super easy to perform.
- Attach band, to a stable strong pole or any secure heavy chair from the lowest end near to floor.
- Attach the other band end cuff around the one ankle.
- Follow the same steps of exercise using cable machine mentioned above in article to the end.
Cable Glute kickbacks Muscles Worked
There are 2 main important muscles involved during a cable kickback- Gluteus (Maximus, Medius, Minimus) and Hamstring. The kickbacks target first the gluteus maximum and the hamstrings and then engage the other two layer glutes.
The core also gets an engagement here for stabilizing and maintenance of the body balance, during the workout steps and the movement.
Cable Glute kickback Alternative
Insure before you start, to have enough space on front of you, enough for one big step.
Choose from a pair of light to medium dumbbells weight, that enables you to finish the workout sets in order to insure highly effective training.
- First, raise up above a mat (optional) with straight back, holding a pair of dumbbells using (hammer grip).
- Keep your arms a side parallel to your body.
- Place your legs apart at shoulder width.
- Inhale and make a one big step forward with your leg, by bend your knee 90 degrees, so your thighs become parallel to the ground,
- While you bent your back leg at the knee.
- Reverse back the forward Step to the starting position while breathing.
- Switch to other leg and repeat same steps.
- You can perform between 5-8 lunge set.
Bulgarian Split Squat – Alternative of Leg Extension
This is another great exercise that engage glute and leg muscles using a barbell and bench or small box.
- While you’re standing, grip a barbell and place on your back at shoulders level similar to back squat.
- Set one of your legs to the back and place your toes foot above a bench or small box.
- Then Squat down by bending your knee of the front leg to 90 degrees, and the knee of your back leg almost touch the floor.
- Freeze for seconds, and then return front leg rollback to original stand up position.
- Repeat steps and switch to another leg.
Cable Glute kickback Benefits
Why you need to follow this routine?
For the Glutes, the Gluteal focused move is the best exercise it can get. It is focused and a very controlled exercise.
Ensures to make the glute muscles work in isolation to assure the build of the shapely legs while the posterior gets built with a full look.
It is an assumption that only squats and lunges help build strong glutes. Although they do the same, but they do not isolate, and neither do they ensure only to work on glutes as they also combine with many other muscles.
But it is another way around with the glute focused exercise which helps in isolation and focus on the resistance on muscles leading to full development and muscles recruitment too.
It is well-known that either during standing, climbing stairs or jumping involves the use of glutes and if they are weaker, it can cause poor posture or unexplained hip and knee pain.
It can also cause lower back pain. ones’ inability to stand on one leg with heel pain and at certain times could raise inflammation too.
So, using the Cable Glute Kickback one can ensure to improve the mobility, strength and flexibility. As the target area focused here is defined and small, one can easily do the moves without demanding much from the other body parts.
Either way, it is one of the great moves, and remember, weaker glutes add impact over physical performance ruining our day to day lives.
Hope now you are aware of how you can improve your physics body form using the cable kickbacks, which is an effective butt exercise that helps in shaping butt and helps tone the legs muscle too.
This lower body exercise should become a part of your daily routine for your legs and buttock. Make sure to have it daily.