Shoulders is one of the major muscles that will make a remarkable variation in your bodybuilding shape, cause it’s located on your upper body and
clearly obvious for any eyes after workout, that’s why it’s the right choice to decide work on them constantly using exercises for building front and lateral deltoid.
Before we start in-depth of the best exercises, let’s quickly explain the structure of shoulder muscle and have a look of different layers and where it’s located, this will make a better understanding of how to deal with it during your workout, and the best suitable routines that fits most.
The shoulder forms of a three main muscle group, consists of (Front Delts, Middle Delts and Rear Delts) obviously their name display their location on your shoulder muscle, In this article, will focus on exercises for the front and lateral part of your deltoids, which is more common and make the big difference look of shoulders, then will cover in brief the rear delt in one of the exercises, in addition we combine together the best deltoid exercises that hits both your front know as (Anterior) and side know as (Lateral or medial) delts, and help you achieve a bigger sizable look muscle during your shoulder progress journey, and provide it the attention it deserves.
Finding the best exercises to cover them is not an easy job to do, mostly with front and side delts.
But will cover you below in this article and include the moves to grow the delts to maximum strength, but you need attention to details and follow the correct steps.
Exercises for Building Front, Lateral and Rear Deltoid
The frontal raise is great deltoid exercises at home you want to start with, if your searching for straightforward delt workouts, and focus on anterior delts.
The correct move step that you need to have in mind, insure while you pull the weights up without bending your arms, by this way the exercise stress will be centralized on front delts than your chest or triceps.
Let’s start the exercise with one hand each time, by a pronated dumbbell grip (palms down) in front of your thighs, then gradually raise the weights up until reach your shoulders level (insure don’t bend your arm). Then back hands to starting position by lower the weights.
The second exercise that come logical next after the front raise, is lateral raise, which focus on side (lateral) delts.
Now most people do lateral exercise with two hands, this is a mistake!
The upgrade version is to focus on arm every time. The purpose behind, to allow access to a heavier weights with a wide range of motions and better control during the routine.
Start the workout while stand-up straight, with pronated grip dumbbells, keep weights hang to your sides, now start raise your arms to the sides, then slowly return back to starting position.
For better exercise performance and to hit the delts effectively, insure to lean your chest forward around 10-12 degrees, while keep your elbow slightly bent.
Behind the Neck Press
The overhead press, is a medial delt exercise, when raise the weights behind the neck.
When you move the barbell or dumbbells behind your neck, you actually shift the press focus from front to lateral delt.
Start the exercise with a light weight until you practice the correct steps, with a pronated grip of the barbell wider a bit than your shoulders width, place it behind your neck, keep your elbows tights under the bar (insure not to the sides), don’t move them backwards during the exercise.
Now press the weight up, until your hands fully extend, then lower the bar until touch the top of your shoulders. then repeat.
If you don’t have a fitness bar, try to find another replacement like, a metal pipe, or wooden bar that heavy enough and allows you to start the exercise.
Is a common yet worthy exercise to practice, the best way to perform while your sitting, so you can save your strength for heavier weights
and to perform in a best format, while standing is still available if you want to engage the body core.
The exercise is a compound lift, since the motion that Arnold exercise designed for, is to hit both front and lateral delts through lifting, which makes it best deltoid exercises to save time by works on two delts in one exercise.
- Start perform the exercise while your sitting.
- Keep your back straight.
- With a hammer grip hold two dumbbells and place on your thighs.
- Raise holding dumbbells to upright (palms facing you) with a bent arms, to be in front of your chest at a level a bit lower of your shoulders. This is starting position.
- Now raise up and push the dumbbells, while rotate your hands gradually until reach above your head with (palms against you) at the top and both dumbbells sides touch each other together.
- Freeze this position for a while.
- Then gradually reverse the same motion until back to starting point.
- Repeat the exercise.
Is a common and a key exercise that cannot be drop in any shoulder workouts, most important it’s a compound exercise that hits the three muscles front, side and rear delts, all in one exercise. Means posterior deltoid exercises can be performed using classic shoulder press.
Their is many variations for shoulder press, but the most common is a barbell and dumbbell shoulder press exercise. Today will discuss the most commonly used that is the standing dumbbell shoulder press, which will provide you more stability form while performing with a safest range of motion.
- Start the exercise by pick two dumbbells.
- Raise both dumbbells to the sides slightly above your shoulders level, with pronated grip (starting position).
- Push-up the weights above your shoulders, until your arms fully extend.
- Then gradually bring back to starting position, with weights near to your shoulders level.
Upright Dumbbell Row
This exercise have a great potential on strength, but you need to perform it properly. The best way to perform using one arm alternative for better control and to maintain a best range of motion while focus on one arm.
It’s an isolation exercise, that focus mainly on side delts (with a slight change while performing, by bent slightly your chest) which provide opportunity to workout with heavy weights, to hit the muscle with different angles and different resistance to grow effective delts.
- Start the exercise by pick one dumbbell, and the other hand grip a chair or rack.
- Lean forward your chest 45 degree, with straight back, keep weight hanging down (starting position)
- Pull the weight until chest level height, insure your elbow always to your side, not backwards.
- Slowly lower back weights to start position.
Perform Front, Lateral, Rear Deltoid Workout Session
I have set together 3 exercises from the topics I have covered in this post, that will cover the three delts, you can try it out using medium weights.
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Arnold Press
- Shoulder Press
Apply 3 sessions per one exercise (10,8,6) Times, rest for 2 minutes and repeat. Then Move to next exercise.
Steps to Avoid Shoulder Injury
The upper body muscle exposure to many risks during workouts, shoulders one of them, the reason behind that of overuse activities, and the structure of these muscles contains many different sizes start from short to medium, and some workouts accompanied for these muscles could be difficult to perform or cause an injury especially for heavy weights or possible wrong movements.
Based on that it’s important to apply extra care with some measurements to avoid such injuries:
- Warm up shoulders before start your workout.
- Don’t exercise your delts daily, keep them rest at least (1-2) days.
- Avoid motions that could raise pain.
- Strength your rotator-cuff .
Strategies to Consider
In this part will discuss some experience points of body builders during workout, for some recommendations or short cuts and strategies to be aware of:
- Choose the Right Shoulder Press to start, a good shoulder workouts model, start with a multi joint movement motion for a reason, that your able to raise more weights early in your exercise, while your muscle power level at highest point. That’s it’s advice the workout of overhead press as the starting stage.
- After pressing the multi joint, go after the single joint workouts for lateral delts.
- It’ important to emphasize the idea to start workout with medial delts before your strength level put out, then next exercise to hit the front and rear delts.
- Select the suitable hard weight that consider to you, on early stage while your on full energy, is the best time to challenge yourself, you can either start workout your delts with lighter weights for highest reps, but if your purpose to stimulate muscle strength early, means by going to start heavier.
- Pick the suitable weight in which you can perform at least 7 reps with a correct form.
- Don’t quit on workout failure, to gain a fiber delt strength muscle you need to take multiple sets. The best strategy to do that, the time you reach failure, directly reduce the weight to 20% then continue your workout until your next failure, do the same and keep going.
If you’re searching to gain huge shoulder, you need to focus more on your side delts, cause it’s the biggest between them, and pop-up more obvious when get well trained.
Insure you warm-up before start your workout session, to avoid any injury.
Once you complete shoulders exercises for building front and lateral deltoid, it’s better in interesting in training other arms muscles, Biceps, Triceps and Forearms in order to balance your upper form physics.