Target Details for Traps Muscle Workout
Body Part: Back
Target Muscle: Traps
Category: Exercise for Men
The Trap is the most important muscle known as the Trapezius, which is a large and wide muscle in the upper body that every bodybuilder gets excited about when the muscle gets bigger, and performing the best traps workout at home generate a muscle that looks like a wide T-shape attached to the neck and covering most of your upper back.
The main function of the traps is to rotate the head and neck, extending support to both the shoulders and arms to give flexibility to their movement.
Traps Muscle Structure
The Trapezius Muscle is divided into three main structural components:
The Trapezius upper fibers raise the shoulder girdle and are visible from the front and back, and are the primary key in lifting the shoulders muscles.
Tend to pull the shoulder strap back to stabilize your shoulder movement.
Pull the shoulders down in the scapular depression movement as it stabilizes the movement of the arm when raised over head.
Over time, your upper muscles will become stronger by applying regular core trap exercises at home for men, you will have your shoulders and upper back in strong shape and you will look attractive and feel your best.
Do You need to Warm-Up a Trap Muscle?
Warm-up and stretching are an important part of every body workout. According to a study, the warm-up should mimic the expected exercise by pumping those muscles.
We can do the warm-up traps by doing the horizontal adduction exercise, while you are standing, grab both hands a resistance band at both ends, keep it in front of your chest level, then extend it to the sides as much as possible, then release and repeat again, for 10-15 minutes.
Also do two sets of light dumbbells overhead presses and two sets of lateral raise.
You can also read more steps on how to stretch the trapezius muscle, so you are ready for workouts.
Now you can start building your own traps shapes with the following step exercises.
5 Traps Workout at Home
1: Barbell Shrugs
(Target: Upper back, Upper Trapezius)
With these traps exercises at home, you can work on upper traps along with including middle traps and rhomboids to a small extent. It’s a great exercise, with a powerful effect of generating thicker traps.
Moreover, you can perform the same exercise with dumbbells, and it will have the same effect.
How to Perform?
- Stand against the barbell installed on the squat rack, grab this bar by the handle that is approximately at shoulder width.
- Now remove the barbell from the squat rack and make the bar straight with the knees slightly bent, Keep your arms straight. This is the starting position.
- Step back a little bit off the rack, Now shrug the shoulders in an upward motion by raising the bar to shoulder levels while inhaling as you do.
- Then lower your arms back to the starting position as you exhale.
- Repeat exercise 6 times in 3 sets.
2: Face Pulls
(Target: Shoulders Muscles, Trapezius)
This is an isolation exercise, targeting the middle and posterior trapezius, the face pulls is a very effective postural exercise to perform the pulling exercise, and will also take into account strength exercises for men who spend long periods sitting at a desk or a car.
How to Perform?
- Place the adaptive pulley about 1/2 meter above your head and secure it to a cable grip.
- Now grab the ends of the handle and step back a meter and a half away from pulley, keeping the torso straight, feet shoulder width apart, and set your arms in front outstretched in a straight line. This is the starting position.
- With the help of the elbows, pull the cable by drag your hands toward your face, to the point where the handle is close to the level of the ears. While exercise, Make sure that the level of the elbows is higher than the level of the wrist.
- Now slowly extend the arms back straight by returning to the starting position and then repeat.
- Repetitions: 10-12 times in 3 sets.
3: Straight-Arm Dips
(Equipment: Parallel bar dip)
(Target: Shoulders Muscle, lower Trapezius)
Most exercisers do not focus on the lower traps because they are invisible and when they get weaker, they can create problems. When the lower traps are strengthened, they can stabilize the shoulder blades or scapula and ensure that both the upper and lower traps are evenly developed and become balanced.
How to Perform?
- Grab the handles of the parallel bars and lift your body up, setting your arms to fully extend (starting position).
- While keeping the forearm straight, Now slowly begin lowering your upper body by bending your elbows 90 degrees while tilting your body forward. Dip down until your shoulders are slightly below your elbows.
- Pause this pose for your elbows in two seconds.
- Then raise your body by fully extending your arms and returning to the starting position.
- Repetitions: 8-10 times for 3 sets.
4: Reverse Fly with Dumbbells
(Target: Shoulders Muscle, Upper Trapezius)
Reverse trapezius exercises can be performed in either a standing or sitting position and target the upper trapezius, posterior deltoids, and rhomboids that target the major back muscles and result in a healthy shoulder and proper posture.
In addition, choosing the right Set of Dumbbells for this routine is essential to achieving the effectiveness and maximum benefits of your exercise.
How to Perform Reverse Fly?
- Begin the trapezius exercise by holding the dumbbells in both hands, tilting the upper body slightly forward and pushing the glutes back, arms hanging down and keeping them shoulder width apart and vertical to the floor (starting position).
- Then bend your arm slightly and lift the weights up to the sides to be parallel to shoulder level. So, when looking from the back, your body shape looks like a letter “T”.
- Now, lower the arms down to the starting position, then repeat this exercise.
- Repetitions: 6-8 times for 4 sets.
5: Waiters Walk
(Equipment: Kettlebells, Dumbbells)
(Target: Shoulders Muscle, Upper and lower Trapezius)
This is another good exercise to do at home for the traps, which builds the upper and lower trapezius muscles together of the body.
How to Perform?
- Hold an appropriately heavy weight in one hand with a firm grip. You can use kettlebells and dumbbells.
- In order to lift the weight smoothly, while standing, open your legs about twice as wide as your shoulders, then swing the weight between your legs and then raise the weight gradually at the level of your shoulder first, then continue to raise above your head. This will be the starting position.
- Keeping your arms straight and both shoulders flat and pulled back, now, start walking around in the exercise area for 30-60 seconds.
- Now carefully lower the weight, the same lifting steps, by lowering it at shoulder level first, then swinging between your legs, and finally putting it on the floor.
- Now switch arms and repeat the steps.
- Repetitions: 3-4 times for each arm.
Benefits of Traps Workout
There are many benefits to Trapezius workouts that target the back body and strengthen your upper body. Here are the main benefits:
- Other than the Traps, it is one of the broadest major back muscles and is responsible for the alignment back posture and the body movement.
- Rotation and stabilization of the shoulders, In addition to extending the head at the neck.
- Make your shoulders bigger and thicker.
- It protects the neck and upper body from many injuries through the strength of traps muscle connections.
The traps exercise causes a concentration of pressure on the shoulders and back spine due to the vertical push-and-pull exercise of the upper body, so the higher the intensity of the exercise, the greater the pressure on the back.
Before starting the traps exercises, It is highly recommended to exercise in a safe environment position to protect your body from any injuries that can occur to your back, lower back and body posture from lifting. The back belt will protect and provide more safety for your back body.
Trap muscles are essential for shoulder stabilization, and provide strength for your back, the more you exercise these muscles, the more you gain balance for your trunk body. It also provides a great triple wing shape behind the back in case the traps muscles are well developed using Traps Workout at Home to develop thicker traps.
Follow on Pinterest for additional workouts that interest you.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You’ll be pleased to see more muscle results once they are developed over Time.