Calf’s muscle is essential part of lower leg, which consists of two main muscles gastrocnemius “upper calves part” and soleus “lower calves part” that links with Achilles tendon and attached with heels bones, which at the end is responsible for balancing body while moving, in addition their is many reasons that’s calves gets injured and block it’s functions, based on this it’s important to understand and learn calf pain relief exercises which will helps you to minimize, protect your muscles from any possible pain.
Before we start performing relief exercises, It’s important to identify the issues that result to calf muscle pain, what is the symptoms and causes? what are the reasons that lead to tight calves, and stretches that solve the issue! How to prevent future exposure to pain.
Let’s dive into the article and find out of how to treat calves pain, by learn first it’s symptoms and causes:
Calf Pain Symptoms
Why it’s important to understand the symptoms of calves pain? The reason cause our body could experience different kind of pain in many parts, but we need to identify first if status your currently facing is a result calves injury, or different other muscle part get infected and leads to this manner, since every muscle have different way to handle that.
The Symptoms are various depends on the main root cause. The following are common symptoms:
- Tingling sensation, feel uncomfortable or hard to touch skin of lower leg or behind the knee. Cramps that could last for few seconds to 10 minutes.
- Unexpectedly pain on lower leg.
- Difficulty to standing out or moving.
- Discoloration skin behind the knee.
- Pain specially when pressure on behind leg, distention or trauma.
Calf Muscle Pain Causes
Pain of Calf can results based on number of causes, which varies depends on the injury types of certain activities that will focus more on article, or result of possible disease.
- Calf Strain: This is one of common pain causes for calves, as a consequence of overuse, lifting heavy weights, incorrect movement steps of the exercise or high stress of muscle. Similar exercises like lifting, sprint or swimming.
- Calf Cramp: Which is unexpected tension of muscle that last for time either few seconds or minutes, the reason behind that of starting new workout, or continuously exercise without resting.
- Achilles Tendon Inflammation: Stress and stain of calves tendon, can lead to minimize leg range of motion and pain of leg back.
- Sciatica: In cause an injury raise in a hip nerve, this can cause to a severe leg pain for some cases, and a medical attention.
- Bruise: A sudden hit or a fall, can result a damage on blood vessels for that area, that lead to contrast of skin color.
Calf Pain Relief Exercises
Use stretching exercises regularly like walking or running, before start performing intense workout muscles, can help you avoid muscle pain or injuries.
You need daily engage of these exercises in order to improve flexibility, range of motion, setup a mindset of the muscles to be ready before any startup exercise.
1.Calf Chair Stretch Forward
- Stand in front of a chair, grip back chair with both hand.
- Set your right leg forward and send left leg backwards.
- Bend right knee leg with 140 degree, and keep left leg always straighten.
- While your both feet flat on the floor, Now slowly bend yourself forward towards chair, by bend right knee leg up to 90 degree as possible. Pause this position for 1/2 minute, feel the calves stretch in the back leg.
- Reverse back right leg to a round 140 degree.
- Switch the legs, and repeat for 4 times.
2. Calf Chair Stretch Backward
This exercise is similar to first stretch, with slight change by bending the backward leg.
- While stand on front of the back chair, grip a chair with both hands.
- Set right leg forward with slightly bend, while set left one backward straight (Keep 1 feet distance between two foot).
- Then bend your left knee forward up to 90 degree, insure both feet flat on the ground.
- Freeze this position for 1/2 minute.
- Change and switch the legs, then repeat for 3 times.
3. Calf Raise
- Stand on a wooden stool or low height step, with toes and ball of your foot on the step, while your heel out of step.
- Place your hand either on your hips or grip something to balance.
- Start gradually drop the heel, but not touch the floor, freeze this position.
- Then raise heel up above step level height.
- Repeat for 3-4 times.
4. Calf Stretch While Seated
In case you cannot stand out, this exercise will allow you to stretch your calves and full back leg while your seated.
- Bring a chair or a bench and sit on the end edge, while your head and back align straight during the full exercise.
- Set one of your legs straighten by balancing on your heels only, the other leg bend knee 90 degree as normally and keep feet flat on the floor, and place both hands above thighs of this bend leg. This is your start position.
- Inhale, then slowly bend your chest forward as possible, so your torso and extended leg form around 90 degree. Hold this position for half minute.
- Exhale, then reverse your back to starting position, then repeat 4 times.
- Switch the legs and repeat same steps.
Pain After Workout
If you encounter a pain or stiffness on calves after few hours from finish your workout or the next day, usually this is a normal response for the muscles after a busy workout day, and most properly will go away after few days.
Meanwhile, you can still minimize the effect of the pain or muscles tightness, with the following steps:
- Massage: Gently rubbing the infected area, either with your hands on small circles or by using a foam roller to release the stress of calves and extend the muscles.
- Apply Comfort Balms: Using either muscle cream for fast relief from pain and joints or Menthol oil, both provides warming feeling and disconnect the pain in short time.
- Use Warm Water: Heating muscles helps you relieve the pain with warm feelings, use hot water in the bath by focus on the pain area for a while, this will reduce the tension on the muscles gradually.
- Perform Light Exercise: Engage yourself on the cardio activities will minimize the pain or tight calves muscles.
How to Stop Calf Pain?
It’s better to follow further precaution steps that will avoid you from pain calves causes as possible.
- Keep Your Body Hydrated: Taking sufficient water while exercising or during any hard activity, while avoid your calf’s from cramping, as more studies emphasis on this manner.
- Stay Stretching: This is essential part, in case you want not only to protect your calves but the full body, warm-up before and after exercise to prepare your muscles for strength routine. This will minimize the chances of muscle pain and serious injuries.
- Progressive Intense Routine: Using gradually intense and weights in your workouts, will prevent you from possible pain suffer, especially if you start totally new exercise, you need to be aware by performing the correct exercise steps and don’t start heavy.
Treatment Calve Pain at Home
Rehab calves muscle can be varies, depends on cases of injuries either mild up to middle level.
- ICE: Icing the injury calves will minimize the pain, and absorb the tension area or swelling.
- Elevating: It’s wise to elevate the calves above heart level, this will minimize the blood pressure on this area.
- Compress: Add additional compress on infected area, will minimize any bruise or swollen exists.
- Resting: Its important role of any stress muscle, that some people could neglect, for re-healing muscles, tissues and rebuild process.
- Stretching: As mentioned above, these exercises initiate the muscle to receive properly the workout or routine stress, also it’s important once complete workout to keep stretching, for cooling muscles and set back to normal.
Be aware of pain calves when raised, and try to identify the exact issue, cause it could be mild up to sever injury level, in addition some of these cases can be treated usually at home with the above proposed solution, another serious cases required medical attention.
For most common cases, calf pain relief exercises can be applied and treated at home, but you need to proactively prevent future cases in order not to suffer again, additional exciting exercises can performed by using a light banded squats that will make a big difference on stretching your muscles any time you want and provide the flexibility you need.
If you have any question or concern please add you comment below, I will be happy to help you.