Target Exercise Details (Women Biceps Workouts)
Body Part: Arms
Target Muscle: Biceps
Category: Exercise for Women
If you want to work on your arms but don’t have time to visit the gym due to your busy schedule, Don’t despair because there are biceps exercises for women that you can start doing today from the comfort of your home.
Women tend to store fat in certain areas of the body, and the arms are those places. Your arms can look great when they are shaped, you can recreate the toned arm muscles by following the biceps and triceps exercises routine.
It’s worth noting that your body can look as good as your diet. That is why the first thing you need to do is start monitoring your diet. Reduce the intake of dairy products (cheese, cappuccino, milk) and white bread products as well, as this tends to reduce the formation of arms.
Yes, there are arm toning exercises for women that can be very helpful for you, but you have to follow them carefully if you are serious about having slim and attractive arms in the near future.
Biceps Muscle Structure and Function
Biceps Muscle Structure
This is a large muscle located in the front of the upper arm between your elbow and your shoulder. Biceps there is another name for this muscle called two-headed muscle. Therefore, there are two heads for the biceps muscle: the long head and the short head.
The two heads of muscles originate from the scapula and then join together to form a one single muscle in front of your upper arm, to reconnect together and attach with the upper end of your forearm.
The purpose of two heads, one works to contracts the muscle and the other to extend it, this will ensure the movement of the arm.
Biceps Muscle Function
Your Biceps work through three joints (the elbow humeral joint is consists of two bones, the humerus and ulna, the proximal radioulnar joint near the elbow and the glenohumeral joint of the shoulder. It helps with forearm elongation and flexion of the elbow.
Its primary function is to support the movement of your arm between your shoulders and elbows.
Benefits of Biceps Workout
There are many benefits to biceps exercises at home, which target the main arm muscle. Here is a list of the main benefits:
- Provides the support needed for lifting heavy objects.
- Contributes to overall arm strength.
- Increases the size and strength of your biceps.
- Contributes to tightening, defined and toned arms.
Before starting the exciting workout, it is recommended that you wear elbow pads and Crossfit hand Grips to avoid any kind of tissue damage during the routine.
Warm Up Exercises for Biceps before Workout
You should warm up your biceps before the actual training to avoid possible muscle injuries. To stretch your bicep arm muscles, stand up straight with your face against a flat wall, raise your entire arm back and place your hand on your shoulder. Then start pushing your chest back a little bit from the wall. Pause for 15-20 seconds and continue. Do this for both arms and hold up to 5 times.
Another arm warm-up that you can do is use a rowing machine, set it to a low resistance for a few minutes, and then start warming up. Focus on pulling and extending your arms slowly but steadily.
For a more detailed click on the article Warm-up of the Biceps before Workout, for more muscle flexibility.
Now here are the biceps exercises for women that will help you to get slim and well defined arms.
Biceps Exercises for Women
1: Dumbbell Curls
This is a very simple and common biceps exercise, albeit very effective. It hits the inner and outer upper parts of the biceps and will tone your arms greatly when done correctly.
How to perform Dumbbell Curls?
- Pick up a pair of Dumbbell on each hand with your palms facing outward.
- Make sure your hands are hanging straight and your elbows are at your sides.
- Lift the dumbbells up toward your shoulder in one arm, to the point that they are almost touching your shoulder.
- Your palm should now be facing your shoulder. Now lower arm back to the starting position and do the same for the other arm.
2: Cable Curls
(Equipment: Cable Pulley)
You can also perform a reverse curl by holding the bar in an underhand grip (palm up) by following the same steps as below. This is one of the great arm exercises for women that hits the outer head and inner head of the biceps with a close and wide grip respectively.
How to perform Cable Curls?
- Lower the pulley to the lowest level in the machine and attach the cable to a straight bar or rope and secure it evenly with outstretched arms.
- Hold the bar with an underhand grip (palms facing up) and at thigh level.
- Keep your arms straight and your elbows folded.
- Bend your knees slightly with your back straight, and start curl the bar upward towards your chest.
- Then slowly lower the cable to the starting position at thigh level.
If your planning to train biceps, triceps and chest with one machine, your best choice is a wall-mounted cable pulley for a small home gym, which is the all-in-one equipment option.
3: Preacher Bicep Curls
(Equipment: Preacher bench, Dumbbells)
This arm exercise reaches the peaks by hitting the outer head of the biceps when done correctly. It helps to well-shape the gap between the lower biceps and the elbow joint.
How to perform Preacher Bicep Curls?
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand in an underhand grip.
- Stand or sit on a preacher bench with your arms over the bench. Your armpit should be facing the incline padded at the top of the bench.
- Starting with your right arm, curl the dumbbells towards your shoulder, keeping your arm straight in front of you. Keep the elbows on the bench at all times.
- Then slowly lower your right arm back to a straight position again.
- Switch and repeat with your left arm.
Note: I created a new Dumbbell Preacher Curl post detailing the Biceps to maximize muscle strength and shape, discussing about the Benefits, Variations and Alternatives of this exercise.
4: Concentration Curls
(Equipment: Dumbbells, Flat Bench)
You can perform the workout with both arms at the same time or by alternating arms. This is one of the most effective arm exercises for women at home. It also reaches peak bicep strength.
How to perform Concentration Curls?
- Sit on the bench with your back slightly bent forward.
- Grab a dumbbell in each hand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Grab the dumbbells with an underhand grip and make sure your elbows are resting inside in your middle of the thigh.
- Keeping your back straight, bend over and curl the dumbbells up to your shoulders.
- Reverse the motion of curling your arms until they are straight between your legs.
5: Hammer Curls
(Equipment: a Dumbbells)
This arm workout is used to stimulate the biceps in a certain way, which contributes to increasing muscle strength and growth. The main difference between it and other curls lies in the grip – neither underhand nor over the hand. The grip is neutral in the shape of the hammer and then the curling begins.
How to perform Hammer Curls?
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing each other (neutral grip).
- You can either sit or stand. If you are sitting, find a short stool to elevate your feet to relieve tension in the lower back. If you are standing, you can put a foot slightly behind you to increase stabilize of your body balance.
- Keep your elbows steadily at your sides and allow the dumbbells to hang completely from your hands.
- Exhale, then start curling both arms upwards as far as you can. Make sure your elbows are stable on it’s place while you do this.
- Hold for a second and then inhale while slowly lowering your arms.
All of these arm exercises are as good as the biceps exercises for women. They will help you not only to have a nicely, toned and strong arms, but also to maintain a well-shaped muscle. These exercises do not put too much stress on the joints and are just convenient exercises to do at home at any time.
The last routine you can practice with this useful biceps-strengthening tool at home anytime with the Reliance Adjustable Power Twister. The tool can be used as a substitute for dumbbells if they are not available in the market, Just give it a try, it’s Lightweight and value-added for your gear sets.
If you have any question or personal note, please submit it in the comments below, I would love to help you.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to the Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You’ll be happy to see more muscle building results over time.