Exercise Details (Women Biceps Workouts)
Body Part: Arms
Target Muscle: Biceps
Category: Exercise for Women
Women tend to store fat in certain areas of their body, and the arms is one of those places. If you’ve been wanting to work on your arms but don’t have enough time to visit the gym due to your schedule, don’t despair as there are biceps exercises for women you can start doing from today. Your arms can look fabulous when they are shaped and toned.
It’s worth noting though that your body can only look as good as your diet. This is why the first thing you need to do is to start watching your diet. Reduce your intake of diary products (cheese, cappuccinos, milk) and bread products as well, because this tends to give you less shaped arms.
Yes, there are arm toning exercises for women that can be of great help, but you need to consider your diet as well if you’re serious about having shapely, good-looking arms.
Biceps Muscle Structure
This is a large muscle located at the front of the upper arm between your elbow and shoulder. Biceps here means two-headed muscle. So, there are two heads to your biceps muscle: the long head and the short head. Both of these muscle heads originate from the scapula and then join together to form one single muscle in front of your upper arm.
Biceps Muscle Function
Your Biceps work across three joints (humeroulnar joint of the elbow is a composed of two bones, the humerus and ulna, proximal radioulnar joint of the elbow and glenohumeral joint of the shoulder. It helps in supination of the forearm and flexing of the elbow.
Basically, its main function is supporting the movement of your arm between your shoulders and elbows.
Benefits of Biceps Workout
There are many benefits for biceps workouts at home, which target the main Arm Muscle. Below is list of major benefits:
- Provides the support needed for the lifting of heavy objects.
- Contributes to overall arm strength.
- Increases the size and strength of your biceps muscles.
- Contributes to a tighter, more defined and toned arms.
Before starting your excited workout, it is recommended for you to wear elbow and Crossfit hand Grips pads to avoid any sort of tissue damage during routine.
Do you need a Warm-Up?
You should warm up your bicep muscles before actual training to avoid potential muscle injuries. To stretch your arm muscles, place your entire arm up to your shoulder against a flat wall. Turn your chest a little bit away from the wall and hold for 15-20 seconds. Do so for both arms and continue for up to 5 times.
Another arm warm up you can do is making use of a rowing machine set with a low resistance for a few minutes. Concentrate on pulling and extending your arms, slowly but steadily.
For More Detailed Biceps Warm Up Before Workout for more muscle Flexibility.
Now here are biceps exercises for women that will help you get well-defined and slim arms.
Biceps Exercises for Women
Exercise # 01: Dumbbell Curls
This is a simple and very common biceps exercise, albeit with a very effective one. It hits the inner and outer upper parts of your biceps and will greatly tone your arms when done correctly.
How to perform Dumbbell Curls?
- Pick up a Dumbbell with your palms facing upwards in each of your palms.
- Make sure your hands are straight down and your elbows kept at your sides.
- Bring the dumbbell upward towards your shoulder in one arm, to the point it’s almost touching your shoulder.
- Your palm should be facing your shoulder by now. Lower back to the starting point and do same for the other arm.
Exercise # 02: Cable Curls
(Equipment: a Cable Station, Bar)
You can also do a reverse curl by holding the bar in an overhand grip (palms facing downward) following same steps as above. This is one of the great arm workouts for women and hits the outer head and inner head of the biceps with close and wide grip respectively.
How to perform Cable Curls?
- Connect to the lowest pulley on the cable with a straight bar and hold it evenly with outstretched arms.
- Hold the bar in an underhand grip (palms facing upward) and at a thigh level.
- Keep your arms straight and elbows tucked in.
- Bend your knees slightly with your back straight, and curl the bar upward to your chest.
- Slowly lower back the cable to the starting position on the thigh level.
Exercise # 03: Preacher Bicep Curls
(Equipment: Preacher bench, Dumbbells)
This arm workout hits the peak and the outer head of biceps when done correctly. It helps shape the space between the lower biceps and the elbow joint.
How to perform Preacher Bicep Curls?
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand in an underhand grip.
- Stand or sit on a preacher bench with your arms over the bench. Your armpit should be against the padded inclination on top of the bench.
- Beginning with your right arm, curl the dumbbell to your shoulder, while keeping your arm straight in front of you. Keep elbows on bench all time.
- Slowly lower your right arm to a straight position again.
- Switch and repeat the same with the left arm.
Note: I create new detail post of Dumbbell Preacher Curl for Biceps to maximize muscle strength and shape, discussing about the Benefits, Variations and Alternatives of this exercise.
Exercise # 04: Concentration Curls
(Equipment: Dumbbells, Flat Bench)
You can do workout with both arms at the same time or by alternating the arms. This is one of the most effective arm workouts for women at home. It also hits the peak of the biceps.
How to perform Concentration Curls?
- Sit on the bench in a slightly bent over position.
- Pick up the dumbbells in each of your hand with your legs shoulder width apart.
- Hold the dumbbells in an underhand grip and be sure to rest your elbows against the inner part of your knees.
- With your back straight, bend over and curl the dumbbells upward to your shoulders.
- Uncurl your arms till they are straight down between your legs.
Exercise # 05: Hammer Curls
(Equipment: a Dumbbells)
This arm workout is used to stimulate the biceps in a certain way, thereby contributing to increased strength and growth of the muscles. The key difference between it and other curls is in the grip – neither underhand nor overhand. The grip is neutral in hammer curls.
How to perform Hammer Curls?
- Hold a dumbbell in each of your hands with your palms facing each other (neutral grip).
- You can either sit or stand. If you’re sitting, look for a short stool to elevate your feet to ease off tension on the lower back. If you’re standing, you can place a foot behind you a bit to increase stability.
- Keep your elbows steadily by your sides and allow the dumbbells hang down from fully stretched hands.
- Exhale as you curl both arms upward as far as they can go. Make sure your elbows are still steady as you do this.
- Hold upward for a second and then inhale as you slowly lower your arms.
All of these arm exercises are good as biceps exercises for women. They will help you to not only get nicely, toned and strong arms, but also in keeping good form. These exercises don’t put too much stress on the joints and it’s just the right exercises to be done at home anytime.
Last routine that can be exercise through a useful tool to strength your biceps at home at any time using Reliance Adjustable Power Twister.
If you have any question or personal note, please submit in below comments, i would love to help you.
Challenge enough to Boost your Body to Next Strength level!
There’s (lots) more! In the next article, you’ll tackle different Muscles workouts.
You will be pleased by see more results by Time.